I am Mountain Athlete, Aspiring Alpinist, have represented India for trad climbing internationally, in Thailand, USA, France, UK. I believe in transformational power of wilderness in growth and development. I do and teach adventure sports namely rock climbing, mountaineering, slacklining, downhill biking, white water kayaking and mountain biking.
#Himalayas are so awe-inspiring! Crossing from #HimachalPradesh to enter #ladakh thru #ParanaLa PC: Prerna Dangi #changthang #alpine #trek. #guideslife #chillscenes #india #adventure #thisgirlcan #highaltitude #snow #peak #summit #neverstopexploring #picoftheday #photooftheday #photooftheday #photography #candid #actionsports #actionphotography #sahyadri #maharashtra #portrait #athletelife #rockclimbing #mountaineering #proedge.in
I also hold international certifications such as SPI from American Mountain Guide Association, Trip Leader from NOLS USA, Single Pitch Training from Mountain Training UK, Wilderness First Aid Responder from Aerie Backcountry USA in addition to Mountaineering Leadership from Indian Mountaineering Foundation and Advance Mountaineering from NIM.
My days are spent training for climbing, actually climbing and teaching it and doing adventures. I am a law graduate but adventure is my profession!
In February 2018, I designed and taught Rock Climbing Instructor Training Program for Instructors of Outward Bound Bharat (part of OB International) under curriculum of Professional Climbing Guides Institute USA’s Top Rope Guide Course.
In November 2017, I got assessed by American Mountain Guides Association. I am the only Indian to be certified by them. We got opportunity to guide clients from Iceland, Canada, Thailand, UK, USA for rock climbing sessions in Chiang Mai.
#Repost @rainbowweinstock ・・・ Great first day of an @amga1979 Instructor exam. Candidates did a great job tolerating heat in the jungle while they performed technical maneuvers. Here @adventureishani lowers @matthias.gabbalier from a top managed anchor. #outdoors #rockclimbing #wilderness #sendwithus #climbers_worldwide #climbing_pictures_of_instagram
In October 2017, I was invited for American Alpine Club’s International Climbing Meet at USA in Yosemite, world’s best rock climbing area which has massive big walls, thousands of feet of sheer rock faces to climb on. I was climbing with top climbers from USA, Canada, Australia, Brazil and many other countries.
I also went to Red Rocks Canyons near Las Vegas to climbing with new climbing partners for 10 days. We used to climb multi-pitch trad routes averaging 1200-1500 ft daily.
In July 2017, I represented India at UIAA Global Youth Summit in France. It was International Climbing Camp where we got opportunity to climb multi-pitch routes ranging from 800ft to 1400 ft in one go. It was amazing experience to climb on rock types such as limestone, granite, gneiss, sandstone.
In March 2017, we went on winter backpacking in Gharwal Himalayas to Roopkund, could reach till 12,000 ft and had to back off because of risky snow conditions.
On 31st July 2016, I climbed Mount Kanamo (5970m) alone, a Himalayan Peak in Spiti Valley becoming first woman to do it solo.
In June 2016, I was invited by British Mountaineering Council for International Trad meet. Only 20 women from all over the world were selected for this and I was so fortunate to climb with the best in world! Click here to read my experience.
1n 2015, my startup ProEdge Adventures was instrumental in hoisting the Largest Indian Flag, 60ftx40ft on highest point in Maharashtra, Mount Kalsubai, for Indian Navy. That was another record. I also teach climbing to the cadets in NDA, conduct workshops and adventure events and built a climbing wall there.
11 & 12 July 2014, Me and Prerna from Delhi also climbed Mt. Stok Kangri (6153m) a peak in Ladakh in under 2 days, another record for Indian Women in alpine climbing.
I also give motivational talks on achievement motivation, breaking gender stereotypes and conduct adventure activities for learning and development for corporate or clubs.
I am ambassador for SJCAM India, Adventures Beyond Barriers and supported in products by Redbull, Deivee, Ace Blend and a lot of brands in kind. Got part scholarships to do courses from NOLS, at Hanifl Center and to attend the Trad Meet in UK.
I am thankful to Allied Petzl and Shivdurg for supporting me with equipment when I need to lend it.
Earlier, I have collaborated with brands such as Woodland, Natskies, Maruti Suzuki, Baleno Wicked Weekends, Godrej, Rock Aliens, Gipfel Climbing Equipment, Wildcraft , ShivDurg Mitra, BBC-NatGeo, Bohemian Adventures, Levi’s, 4Play and many more.
Currently conducting Instructor Training Programs, outdoor education programs as freelancer for many companies across India. Also working on trekking and climbing programs for people with disabilities and able bodied together through Adventures Beyond Barriers.
Connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Also click here to subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
UPCOMING ENDEAVORS FOR WHICH I AM LOOKING FOR SPONSORSHIPS/ FINANCIAL SUPPORT:
- Mountaineering expeditions in the month of May 2018 in Himachal Pradesh.
- Bolting of rock climbing routes in Hyderabad and Panchmarhi.
- A couple of climbing movies focused on off-beat themes.
- Expedition to a 7000m peak in Ladakh-Zanskar.
- Expedition to a 7000m peak in Nepal.
To contact me, click here.
Always happy to come for motivational talk in your club/ company/ organisation.
To read more about me, here are the link I am featured for in various newspapers, magazines, online portals etc.
- The Hindu: Making mountains her life, one peak at a time.
- Stree News: Climbing Mountains is her passion, says 25 year old Ishani Sawant
- Maruti Suzuki: Swift Glory Ad Film
- The Golden Sparrow Weekly, Pune: Conquering one cliff at a time- Ishani Sawant has made the city proud by being one of India’s finest rock-climbers and achieving heights that experts only dream of.
- Yourstory: Mountaineering is awe-inspiring and a true test of one’s courage and mettle- Ishani Sawant
- Times of India: City Youngsters Choose Mountaineering And Doodling Over Traditional Careers.
- Womens Web: Ishani Sawant Is On An Amazing Journey That Breaks Stereotypes About Women In Adventure Sports
- Redbull: Two Women Conquer Stok Kangri in Two Days
- Caleidoscope Magazine: Ishani Sawant- A Young Mountaineer
- Play Your Sport: Young and adventurous: Meet the mountain athlete who represented India at international circuit
- Girivihar International Climbing Competition: Ishani Sawant talks about qualifying route
- Outdoor Travel Gear: Outdoor Travel Gear meets Mountaineer Ishani Sawant
- Citadel Magazine: A Higher Calling: The sport of mountaineering
- Trip-Munk: Meet Ishani Sawant – Woman Extraordinaire!
- IUE Mag: Mountains of the Mind!
- Startup World: Unable to attend ‘Mount Everest Expedition’ due to lack of funding, resulted in starting-up ProEdge Adventures by Ishani, 24
- Inzpiring Horizons UK
- My Pune Pulse: Real Hero: Ishani Sawant- Scaling New Heights
- Sakal Times: Birthdays, Make it more memorable
- Unnati Award: 21 extraordinary women felicitated for Womens’ Day
- 4play: Gajraj: The Latest Addition To Multipitch Trad Climbing in India
- Pinnacle Club UK: The best week of 2016?