Here are some superb insights after taking numerous workshops on “Basics of Climbing” for kids at our climbing gym in Pune. I’d like to promote the sports of indoor climbing amongst the children and youth.
Get to know more:
- Kids are natural climbers hence this sport attracts them like none other.
- These gyms and climbing walls are open to all age groups so a good way to spend family time there too.
- Attend the Basics of Climbing Workshop to learn about right techniques and get knowledge about safety.
- Its an individual sport where you complete the routes and improve techniques and fitness for tougher routes.
- It’s a great way where kids learn to overcome their fears, challenge themselves and learn life- skills too.
- It is as much a team sport as individual.
- It is also a social sports since there is interaction between fellow climbers, you have to guide them or follow them for routes.
Mental and Physical Fitness
- Climbing against gravity with full focus and powers develops strong physique and concentration.
- Since it requires a lot of planning, analysing and then actually climbing, its much of a mind game too.
- To make the right moves enhances logical skills.’
- Always check your safety before climbing and ensure you know all the rules and regulations and standard practices.
- Make sure knots are tied properly, harness is buckled up and rope is tied correctly.
- The belayer has to check whether the harness is buckled, rope is properly tied, the carabiners are locked and that the rope is put through the belay device in the correct manner.
- When kids are at the wall, they need to be guided.
- We need to tell where they should put the hand and feet initially till they decide to do it on their own.
- They also need to be told to give climbing calls like “I am Climbing”, “Falling”, “Slack” etc so there is good communication with belayer.
- Climbing walls have routes of all difficulty levels with climbers climbing, right from beginners to expert. Observing them is a great way to improving your own skills.
- Observing and then trying those moves improves the skills and techniques.
- The more you keep climbing, the more you’ll improve as muscles start developing.
- Our legs are always stronger than hands so instead of pulling on hold with forearms to reach up, pushing up with legs is way to conserve energy.
- Initially, use of arms need to be made for balance and shifting to make moves.
- Initially, borrow or rent equipment so that you get to know different types and the one which you are most comfortable in. Also, if you are keen on investing in equipment, make sure that the interest is not just one time but a continued one.
- Basic equipment are
- climbing shoes (which have rubber soles and a pointed toe),
- a chalk bag (to keep the fingers dry and avoid slipping from holds),
- harness and a carabiner.
- Initially, shoes should be borrowed/ rented till they find the correct model which suits the type of climbing which is done.
This sports is engaging and enjoyable by all age groups. Its also the best way to keep kids active and avoid yourself becoming a couch-potato. This is a growing fitness trend and I am sure you’ll get addicted to it on the day you go there to try it.