If you are planning to go to Spiti or Leh, for the first time then its a task to have a good plan ready and then travel accordingly. Here are some things to consider:
- You can go to Ladakh in July as the season for touring the valley is from June to August however you must check weather conditions on dates you would be travelling and avoid if heavy rains are predicted otherwise you should not stop.
- Bus service from Delhi to Leh is started by HRTC and it takes three days to reach Leh from Delhi. First stay at Manali, second at Keylong and finally Leh on third day.
- You can choose to go by booking bus tickets to Manali, then from Manali to Keylong and from Keylong to Leh.
- Book tickets a day before or early in the morning as tickets are short
- Bus from keylong will leave at 5 in the morning.
- If you choose Kashmir route, there are regular buses from Srinagar to Leh with an overnight stay at Kargil usually. I am not sure of the timings but one can travel via public transport easily.
- For Spiti: Bus runs from delhi to Reckong Peo At 8:05 pm from ISBT Kashmiri gate which reaches Reckong next day at 05:00 pm. You have to stay at Reckong for overnight. Lots of accommodation options there. Hotel Abhishek just in the front of Reckong peo bus stand is the cheapest and basic one. From there single bus runs for Kaza at morning 07 am, reaching at 05:00 pm. This is the season time, you can get numerous homestays there. From Kaza again you have lots of options to go further.
- Transport comes to shutdown at spet end- october depending on weather conditions.
If you are going to Himalayas for the first time, please be careful about your health and fitness first.
- Build your stamina, lungs capacity to avoid sickness as it can ruin your trip, take a day to acclimatize in Leh by avoid doing intense work by your body… Go for local tour to Shanti Stupa on the first day in Leh.
- Plan your itinerary in such a way that there is gradual increase in altitudes, preferably acclimatize in Tabo for Spiti and then attempt the higher regions such as Kaza, Demul, Langza,Kibber, Hikkim etc..
- Have water with you always, carry warm clothes as nights are chilling.
- As a precautionary measure carry dexamethasone tablets incase altitude sickness goes out of control.
- Keep yourself hydrated at all times, carry sunscreen and sunglasses with you.